Staff recommends authorizing a resolution changing the Telecommunications Rate Schedule, adding additional rates for higher bandwidth internet services, lowering the existing internet charge on two categories of service, and changing the minimum term for fiber optic Data Transport, Leased Fiber, and Internet service from 90 days to one year, and consolidating all previous City Commission approved telecommunications rate schedules into one schedule.
City approved Ordinance No. 02-74 on October 28, 2002, which created a new
Chapter 22, Article V, and Division 7 of the Code of Ordinances for the City of
Leesburg, entitled “Telecommunications Services.” This ordinance gave approval
for service rates to be charged by the City for various Telecommunications
Services. The rates were consolidated on September 12, 2005 by Resolution
7440. Additional rate changes have been approved for new services and rate
increases since Resolution 7440 was approved. This resolution will provide for
additional internet service solutions that will be offered by the
Communications Utility. The City will lower the current rates for two internet
services to better align those rates with the new
1. Authorize a resolution changing the Telecommunications Rate Schedule to add additional Internet service rates, lower current internet rates on two internet services, change the term of agreements, and consolidate all other Telecommunications Rates, or
2. Such alternative action as the Commission may deem appropriate.
This resolution is presented to consolidate all telecommunications rates, to add additional internet bandwidth rates, to lower two existing rates to better align those rates with the new, bandwidth solutions, and to extend the term of agreements to a one year minimum. The drop in rates for two current internet categories [ 3Mbps, and 5Mbps], could result in a maximum loss of revenue of $1,500.00 per month, however we anticipate most customers will add additional bandwidth and maintain the same monthly fees.
Department: IT / Communications
Prepared by: _Kevin Cochrane
Attachments: Yes X No ______
Advertised: ____Not Required ______
Attorney Review : Yes X No
Reviewed by: Dept. Head ________
Finance Dept. _______JB_________
Deputy C.M. ___________________
City Manager ___________________
Account No. 04500003439020
Project No. ___________________
WF No. ______________________
A resolution of the City Commission of the City of Leesburg, Florida, authorizing the Mayor and City Clerk to add additional rates for internet service to the existing Telecommunications Rate Schedule, to lower existing rates on two internet services, and to change the minimum term of fiber optic agreements from 90 days to one year; AND PROVIDING AN EFFECTIVE DATE.
BE IT RESOLVED BY THE CITY COMMISSION OF THE CITY OF LEESBURG, FLORIDA:
THAT, pursuant to the provisions of Chapter 22, Article V, Division 7 of the Code of Ordinances of the City of Leesburg, the following rates and charges for Telecommunications Services shall apply, unless and until adjusted by subsequent Resolution.
Description Monthly Amount
· 100 Mbps Ethernet Data Transport Point-to-Point $400.00; to be adjusted
Service using Fiber or Wireless Transport annually on October 1,
according to the
percentage increase or
decrease in the Gross
Implicit Price Deflator
· Dark Fiber Service (minimum 4 mile charge) $102.00 per fiber mile
Description Monthly Amount
· 256 Kbps dedicated line $ 200.00
· 1.544 Mbps dedicated line $ 500.00
· 3 Mbps dedicated line - Old $1,300.00
· 3 Mbps dedicated line - Amended $1,000.00
· 5 Mbps dedicated line - Old $1,700.00
· 3 Mbps dedicated line – Amended $1,400.00
· 10 Mbps dedicated line $2,450.00
· 15 Mbps dedicated line $2,900.00
· 20 Mbps dedicated line $3,400.00
· 25 Mbps dedicated line $3,750.00
· 35 Mbps dedicated line $4,650.00
· 45 Mbps dedicated line $5,490.00
· 1 Mbps Incremental Addition to existing service $ 200.00 / per Mbps
THAT, this resolution authorizes staff to enter into Data Transport and Internet Service agreements for terms of one year, and provide for automatic renewal of the agreements.
THAT this resolution shall become effective immediately.
PASSED AND ADOPTED by the City Commission of the City of Leesburg, Florida, at a regular meeting held the 12th day of October 2009.