AGENDA MEMORANDUM

 

 

Meeting Date:           October 12, 2009

 

From:                          Charlie Weller, Airport Manager

 

Subject:                      Resolution authorizing execution of a Joint Participation Agreement with the Florida Department of Transportation related to funding for Phase I of the Rehabilitation of Runway 3-21 and Sealcoat of Taxiways “B”, “J” and “K” at Leesburg International Airport

 

 

Staff Recommendation:

Staff recommends approval of the Joint Participation Agreement (JPA) with the Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT).

 

Analysis:

Runway 3/21 was last overlaid in the early eighties.  A pavement study conducted by the Florida Department of Transportation found the runway to be in fair to poor condition and recommended that it be overlaid in 2008.  Design and engineering of the project was completed in 2008.  Due to budgetary constraints the construction portion of the project was delayed until FY 09/10.

 

Funding from FDOT for construction will be provided in two phases.  Phase I funding is available now and funding for Phase II is expected in July 2010.  Phase I will be the rehabilitation of the portion of Runway 3/21 extending from the blast fence south to the intersection of the two runways.  Phase II will rehabilitate the remainder of Runway 3/21 and Sealcoat taxiways “B”, “J” and “K”. 

 

The total estimated cost for both phases of the construction portion of this project is $1,500,000.00.  The attached JPA in the amount of $625,000.00 provides funding for Phase I.  FDOT will pay 80% of the cost with the remaining 20% being paid by the City. 

 

Options:

1.   Approve the Joint Participation Agreement with FDOT for funding of Phase I of the     Rehabilitation of Runway 3/21 and Sealcoat of Taxiways “B”, “J” and “K” project; or

2.   Such alternative action as the Commission may deem appropriate

 

 

 

 

 


Fiscal Impact

Funding for this project is included in the FY 09/10 budget.  The JPA from FDOT will provide funding for 80% of the cost of the project.  The funding breakdown for the Phase I JPA is as follows:

 

Source

JPA Funding- Phase I

FDOT (80%)

$500,000.00

City (20%)

$125,000.00

Total

$625,000.00

 

 

 

Submission Date and Time:    10/9/2009 11:35 AM____

 

Department: ______________________

Prepared by:  ______________________                     

Attachments:         Yes____   No ______

Advertised:   ____Not Required ______                     

Dates:   __________________________                     

Attorney Review :       Yes___  No ____

                                                

_________________________________           

Revised 6/10/04

 

Reviewed by: Dept. Head ________

 

Finance  Dept. _____JB___________                                     

                              

Deputy C.M. ___________________                                                                         

Submitted by:

City Manager ___________________

 

Account No. _031-0000-334-3200__

 

Project No. __300008___________

 

WF No. __425490/2____________

 

Budget  _$1,500,000.00___________

 

Available _$1,500,000.00_________


 

RESOLUTION NO._______________

 

A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY COMMISSION OF THE CITY OF LEESBURG, FLORIDA, AUTHORIZING THE MAYOR AND CITY CLERK TO EXECUTE A JOINT PARTICIPATION AGREEMENT WITH THE FLORIDA DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION FOR FUNDING PHASE I OF THE REHABILITATION OF RUNWAY 3/21 AND SEALCOAT OF TAXIWAYS "B", "J" AND "K" PROJECT AT LEESBURG INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT; AND PROVIDING AN EFFECTIVE DATE.

 

BE IT RESOLVED BY THE CITY COMMISSION OF THE CITY OF LEESBURG, FLORIDA:

 

            THAT the Mayor and City Clerk are hereby authorized to execute a Joint Participation Agreement with the Florida Department of Transportation whose address is Special Projects Section -  MS4-529, 719 South Woodland Boulevard, Deland, Florida 32720 for funding of Phase I of the Rehabilitation of Runway 3/21 and Sealcoat of Taxiways “B”, “J” and “K” project at Leesburg International Airport

 

             THAT this resolution shall become effective immediately.

 

PASSED AND ADOPTED by the City Commission of the City of Leesburg, Florida, at a regular meeting held the 12th day of October, 2009.

 

 

 

                                                                            __________________________

                                                                             Mayor

 

ATTEST:

 

 

__________________________

City Clerk