Staff recommends approval of the Resolution responding to the City of Groveland Resolution 2010-03-01, initiating the negotiation process for an ISBA, per Chapter 171.203, Florida Statutes.
The City of Groveland has adopted Resolution 2010-03-01 initiating the process pursuant to Chapter 171.203, Florida Statutes for negotiating an ISBA and has invited a number of cities, including Leesburg, to participate. As an invited municipality, the City of Leesburg is required to adopt a responding resolution, in order to be part of the negotiation process for an Agreement. Per state statutes, if an invited participant fails to accept the invitation by not adopting a Responding Resolution, they will be bound by any agreement that is reached by the other local governments. The attached Responding Resolution serves as the City’s response to Groveland, which includes a map of the geographic area for negotiation, and concurs with the issues stated in Groveland’s Resolution. The overall goal of the ISBA process is to establish agreed upon standards for annexation and service delivery in this unincorporated area.
1. Approve the attached Responding Resolution; or
2. Such alternative action as the Commission may deem appropriate
There is no immediate fiscal impact.
Department: Community Development
Prepared by: Bill Wiley, AICP and Yvette L. Brandt, AICP
Attachments: Yes__X_ No ______
Advertised: ____Not Required ______
Attorney Review : Yes_X_ No ____
Reviewed by: Dept. Head __BW_____
Finance Dept. __________________
Deputy C.M. ___________________
City Manager ___________________
Account No. _________________
Project No. ___________________
WF No. ______________________
A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY COMMISSION OF THE CITY OF LEESBURG, FLORIDA, AUTHORIZING THE MAYOR AND CITY CLERK TO RESPOND TO THE CITY OF GROVELAND RESOLUTION 2010-03-01, WHICH INITIATED THE PROCESS PURSUANT TO §171.203, FLORIDA STATUTES FOR NEGOTIATING AN INTERLOCAL SERVICE BOUNDARY AGREEMENT; CONFIRMING AN UNINCORPORATED AREA OF LAND TO BE DISCUSSED; CONCURRING WITH ISSUES TO BE NEGOTIATED; PROVIDING FOR DIRECTIONS TO THE CITY CLERK, AND PROVIDING FOR AN EFFECTIVE DATE.
WHEREAS, the Legislature adopted Part II of Chapter 171, Florida Statutes as an alternative for local governments regarding annexation of real property into a municipality; and
WHEREAS, in part, the intent of the Legislature is to “encourage intergovernmental coordination in planning, service delivery, and boundary adjustments”; and
WHEREAS, the City is authorized by §171.203 to participate in negotiations with other local governments;
WHEREAS, the City of Leesburg desires to participate in negotiations initiated by the City of Groveland for a Interlocal Service Boundary Agreement with Lake County, the City of Mascotte and the Town of Howey-in-the-Hills concerning an unincorporated area of real property and service delivery for that unincorporated area;
BE IT RESOLVED by the City Commission of the City of Leesburg, Florida, as follows:
1. The above recitals are true and correct and, by this reference, are hereby incorporated into and made an integral part of this resolution.
2. The City of Leesburg agrees to participate in negotiations with the City of Groveland, Lake County, the City of Mascotte and the Town of Howey-in-the-Hills, per the provisions of Chapter 171.203, F.S.
3. The City of Leesburg identifies for discussion the unincorporated area of real property depicted in Exhibit A which is attached hereto and incorporated herein.
4. The City of Leesburg concurs with the issues for negotiation, as stated by City of Groveland Resolution 2010-03-01.
5. The City Clerk shall send a certified copy of this Resolution by United States certified mail to the County Manager of Lake County, Florida, the City Manager of the following cities: City of Clermont, City of Minneola, City of Mascotte, City of Tavares, City of Eustis, City of Mount Dora, City of Umatilla, City of Groveland, City of Fruitland Park, and the Town Manager or Mayor of the following towns: Town of Lady Lake, Town of Howey-in-the-Hills, Town of Montverde and Town of Astatula, all in Lake County, Florida.
THIS RESOLUTION shall become effective immediately.
PASSED AND ADOPTED by the City Commission of the City of Leesburg, Florida, at a regular meeting held on the 10th day of May, 2010.
THE CITY OF LEESBURG, FLORIDA