AGENDAHED.JPG 


AGENDA MEMORANDUM

 

 

 

Meeting Date:           February 27, 2012

 

From:                          Charlie Weller, Airport Manager

 

Subject:                      Resolution authorizing a Joint Participation Agreement with the Florida Department of Transportation for grant funding for the Construct Airfield Marking Project at Leesburg International Airport

 

 


Staff Recommendation:

Staff recommends approval of the Joint Participation Agreement (JPA) with the Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) for funding for the Construct Airfield Marking Project at Leesburg International Airport and approval of the purchase amount of $46,916.56 to Hi-Lite Markings, Inc. to complete the striping work.

 

Analysis:

Leesburg International Airport currently has a mixture of airfield markings commonly known as striping. Roughly one half of the striping meets Federal Aviation Administration standards.  The areas of new construction such as the runway 13/31 extension meet standards while older areas including taxiways do not.  Striping is an integral part of the process that directs pilots to locations on the airport.  It alerts pilots where aircraft movement is allowed or not allowed and plays an important role in the prevention of runway and taxiway incursions.

 

FDOT has established a statewide contract with Hi-Lite Markings, Inc. to perform striping on General Aviation and Commercial Aviation Airports.  The contract allows for a low cost price and assures that all striping is completed to FDOT and FAA standards.  Hi-Lite Markings, Inc. has already surveyed Leesburg International Airport and the cost of re-striping will be $46,916.00.  This JPA will provide 80% of the project cost.  The remaining 20% will be paid by the City of Leesburg.

 

Options:

1.  Approve the JPA from FDOT for the Airfield Marking Project; or

2.  Such alternative action as the Commission may deem appropriate

 

Fiscal Impact: 

Funding for this project is included in the airport budget.  The cost breakdown is as follows:

 

           

Funding Source

Amount

FDOT

$37,533.00

City

$  9,383.00

TOTAL

$46,916.00

 

 

 

 

Submission Date and Time:    2/24/2012 10:39 AM____

 

Department: ___Airport_____________

Prepared by:  _ Charlie Weller   ____                     

Attachments:     Yes __X__   No ___

Advertised:   ____Not Required __X__                     

Dates:   __________________________                     

Attorney Review :       Yes___  No ____

                                                

_________________________________           

Revised 6/10/04

 

Reviewed by: Dept. Head ________

 

Finance  Dept. __________________                                     

                              

Deputy C.M. ___________________                                                                         

Submitted by:

City Manager ___________________

 

Account No. _031-1821-542.63-10__

 

Project No. ___310018___________

 

WF No. ______743884/1_________

 

Budget  ______$50,000.00 ________

 

Available _____$50,000.00 ________


 

RESOLUTION NO._______________

 

RESOLUTION OF THE CITY COMMISSION OF THE CITY OF LEESBURG, FLORIDA AUTHORIZING THE MAYOR AND CITY CLERK TO EXECUTE A JOINT PARTICIPATION AGREEMENT WITH THE FLORIDA DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION FOR GRANT FUNDING RELATED TO THE CONSTRUCT AIRFIELD MARKING PROJECT AT LEESBURG INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT FOR 46,916.56; AND PROVIDING AN EFFECTIVE DATE.

 

BE IT RESOLVED BY THE CITY COMMISSION OF THE CITY OF LEESBURG, FLORIDA:

 

            THAT the Mayor and City Clerk are hereby authorized to execute a Joint Participation Agreement  with the Florida Department of Transportation, whose address is Special Projects Section, MS 4-524, 719 South Woodland Blvd.,  Deland, Florida 32720 for grant funding for the Construct Airfield Marking Project at Leesburg International Airport.

 

            THAT the City Commission further approves the striping work be performed by Hi-Lite, Inc. pursuant to the State of Florida Contract No. BDR27 for an amount not to exceed $46,916.56.

 

             THAT this resolution shall become effective immediately.

 

PASSED AND ADOPTED by the City Commission of the City of Leesburg, Florida, at a regular meeting held the 27th day of February 2012.

 

 

                                                                            __________________________

                                                                             Mayor

 

ATTEST:

 

 

__________________________

City Clerk