Item No: 4.C.1.
Meeting Date: February 25, 2013
From: Pam Hester, Executive Administrative Assistant II
Through: Raymond S. Sharp, Interim City Manager
Subject: Resolution supporting the legislative action agenda of the Florida League of Cities
Staff recommends approval of this resolution supporting the legislative action agenda of the Florida League of Cities.
At the City Commission Visioning Workshop held February 4, 2013, Commissioner Dennison requested that a resolution supporting the legislative action agenda of the Florida League of Cities be brought forth for consideration. The attached resolution acknowledges the City of Leesburg’s support of these issues.
1. Approve the resolution supporting the Florida League of Cities legislative action agenda; or
2. Such alternative action as the Commission may deem appropriate
Department: __City Manager’s Office____
Prepared by: __Ray Sharp ___________
Attachments: Yes __X__ No ______
Advertised: ____Not Required __X____
Attorney Review : Yes___ No ____
Reviewed by: Dept. Head ________
Finance Dept. __________________
Deputy C.M. ___________________
Account No. __N/A____________
Project No. ___________________
WF No. ______________________
RESOLUTION OF THE CITY COMMISSION OF THE CITY OF LEESBURG, FLORIDA SUPPORTING THE LEGISLATIVE ACTION AGENDA OF THE FLORIDA LEAGUE OF CITIES, INC.; AND PROVIDING AN EFFECTIVE DATE.
WHEREAS, the City of Leesburg, Florida (the “City”) is a participant and a beneficiary of the organization known as the Florida League of Cities, Inc. (the “League”); and
WHEREAS, the League coordinates efforts to oppose or support legislation that affects the municipalities of the State of Florida; and
WHEREAS, the City Commission (the “Commission”) of the City appreciates the League and its efforts to promote and support the municipalities of the State of Florida.
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED BY THE CITY COMMISSION OF THE CITY OF LEESBURG, FLORIDA, THAT:
1. The Commission approves and endorses the proposed policy of the League to oppose legislation that modifies, restricts or eliminates the authority of municipalities to levy, collect, and/or expend the communications services tax and local business tax.
2. The Commission approves and endorses the proposed policy of the League to support legislation that provides comprehensive municipal firefighter and police officer pension reform and disability presumption reform.
3. The Commission approves and endorses the proposed policy of the League to oppose legislation that modifies, restricts or eliminates municipalities Home Rule Authority under Article VIII, Sections 2(b) and 3(b), Florida Constitution, and the Municipal Home Rule Powers Act.
4. This resolution shall become effective immediately.
PASSED AND ADOPTED by the City Commission of the City of Leesburg, Florida, at a regular meeting held the 25th day of February, 2013.