Item No: 3B.
Meeting Date: May 13, 2013
From: Bill Wiley, AICP, Community Development Director
Subject: Report on rezoning City property on CR 470
Staff requests the City Commission
in concept the proposed process and schedule
for rezoning the CR 470 City property to a PUD (Planned Unit Development) with
the associated LDC code changes.
City Commission directed staff to develop a strategy to promote economic
development in the CR 470 corridor specifically for City owned property and to
incorporate recommendations suggested by the Duke Energy Site Readiness Program.
One important aspect of the study was to eliminate obstacles to development of properties
so that a prospective company will have a quick development schedule and
minimal risks. Prospective companies
don’t want to go
through the rezoning process with the associated public hearings and 90 to 120
day delays. Those communities with site ready properties with zoning in place
will have the competitive advantage for consideration by prospective companies.
In order to accomplish this goal, staff has developed the following list of zoning recommendations and scheduling for consideration of the City Commission.
Recommendations and Schedule:
Sec. 25-278. Planned development process for
amending PUD (Planned Unit Development) districts
once adopted to
provide that City owned properties to be amended by
resolution. This w ould eliminate the
90 to 120 day process for amending a PUD to meet a prospective company’s needs.
2. Rezone all of the City’s property in the CR 470 area from Public to PUD with architectural design requirements using the Duke Energy Buildable Area Options A and B as conceptual plans that can be revised by staff as needed with the City Commission’s final approval by resolution.
3. Include the “City of Leesburg C.R.470 Industrial and Technology Park” 75 acre parcel in the overall new PUD that was approved in April 2008.
4. Submit rezoning application to the Planning Commission on July 18th and to the City Commission on August 12th and 26th for final adoption.
1. Approve the proposed changes and schedule in concept.
2. Other such action as the Commission may deem appropriate.
There is no immediate fiscal impact expected for City of Leesburg. However, future development of the CR 470 Industrial and Technology Park area will have significant positive fiscal impacts to the City.
Department: Community Development
Prepared by: Bill Wiley, AICP
Attachments: Yes__X_ No ______
Advertised: ____Not Required ______
Attorney Review : Yes_X_ No ____
Reviewed by: Dept. Head __BW_____
Finance Dept. __________________
Deputy C.M. ___________________
City Manager ___________________
Account No. _________________
Project No. ___________________
WF No. ______________________