Staff recommends approval of Change Order 1 with Hewitt Contracting Company, Inc.
Hewitt Contracting Company, Inc. has a contract with the City of Leesburg for $2,446,189.87 to construct Phase I of the Runway 13/31 Extension Project. Phase I includes the addition of 300 feet of runway, a run-up area and a 500 feet wide by 1,000 feet long overrun safety area at the end of runway 13. Change Order 1 reflects additional project costs related to changes the City was required to make as part of the project permitting process with St. Johns River Water Management District, and costs for an additional directional bore. The items on the change order are as follows:
1. Item 1, Landscape Buffer – This item was added after the bidding process but before construction began. The buffer includes planting upland type shrubs along the southeast edge of the Runway 13 overrun safety area. Adding these plants reduced the overall mitigation costs to this project by an estimated $350,000.00.
2. Item 2 and 3 – 30” Class III RCP Culverts – This item was also added after the bidding process and involves connecting Barrow Area 1 to the drainage ditch adjacent to the railroad bed. This item reduces wetland impact and, therefore, also reduced mitigation costs.
3. Item 4, Directional Boring – This item will add 600’ of displaced threshold at the end of Runway 13 by allowing conduit to be installed for end of runway lights. This change will allow aircraft to use the entire length of R-13 for departure, but only 4,400’ for landing. Take-off distance is critical for larger aircraft.
1. Approve Change Order 1 with Hewitt Construction Company, Inc. for the Runway 13/31 Extension Project; or
2. Such alternative action as the Commission may deem appropriate
The total cost of Change Order 1 is $41,393.86. Funding for this project is included in the Airport budget as part of the Capital Projects Fund. . Grant funding of $40,359.01 from FAA (95%) and FDOT (2.5%) has been approved for this work. The City’s cost will be $1,034.85.
Prepared by: ___Charlie Weller_____
Attachments: Yes _X__ No ____
Advertised: ____Not Required ___X__
Attorney Review : Yes___ No ____
Reviewed by: Dept. Head ____EFS__
Finance Dept. __________JB______
Deputy C.M. ________EFS ________
City Manager ________ ___________
Account No. _031-1821-542-6310___
Project No. ___310018___________
WF No. ______301479/4_________
Available ___$ 42,040 ________
A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY COMMISSION OF THE CITY OF LEESBURG, FLORIDA AUTHORIZING THE MAYOR AND CITY CLERK TO EXECUTE CHANGE ORDER 1 WITH HEWITT CONTRACTING COMPANY, INC. FOR THE RUNWAY 13/31 EXTENSION PROJECT AT LEESBURG INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT; AND PROVIDING AN EFFECTIVE DATE.
BE IT RESOLVED BY THE CITY COMMISSION OF THE CITY OF LEESBURG, FLORIDA:
THAT the Mayor and City Clerk are hereby authorized to execute Change Order 1 with Hewitt Contracting Company, Inc. whose address is PO Box 490697 Leesburg, Florida 34749-0697 for the Runway 13/31 Extension Project at Leesburg International Airport.
THAT this resolution shall become effective immediately.
PASSED AND ADOPTED by the City Commission of the City of Leesburg, Florida, at a regular meeting held the 9th day of June, 2008