Staff recommends approval of the Ordinance extending the City of Leesburg’s participation in the MSTU for another three year term.
The City of Leesburg has participated in the municipal service taxing unity established by Lake County to fund ambulance and emergency medical services for the past six years. The renewal date for this participation is September 30, 2009 and the City desires to extend once again to be included in the MSTU. The City wishes to extend for three years to September 30, 2012 while retaining the ability to leave the unit if circumstances would arise.
1. Adopt the Ordinance as presented;
2. Such alternative action as the Commission may deem appropriate
Prepared by: EF Smyth, DCM
Attachments: Yes____ No ______
Advertised: ____Not Required ______
Attorney Review : Yes X No ____
Reviewed by: Dept. Head ________
Finance Dept. ________JB___________
Deputy C.M. ________EFS________
City Manager ___________________
Account No. _________________
Project No. ___________________
WF No. ______________________
AN ORDINANCE OF THE CITY OF LEESBURG, FLORIDA, EXTENIDING THE EXPIRATION DATE SET BY ORDINANCE NO. 00 - 29 AND LATER EXTENDED TO SEPTEMBER 30, 2003, THEN EXTENDED AGAIN TO SEPTEMBER 30, 2006, AND THEN EXTENDED AGAIN TO SEPTEMBER 30, 2009, FOR THE PARTICIPATION BY THE CITY OF LEESBURG IN THE MUNICIPAL SERVICE TAXING UNIT ESTABLISHED BY LAKE COUNTY TO FUND AMBULANCE AND EMERGENCY MEDICAL SERVICES; PROVIDING FOR EARLIER TERMINATION OF PARTICIPATION IN THE MUNICIPAL SERVICE TAXING UNIT IN THE EVENT OF A CHANGE IN THE IDENTITY OF THE AGENCY OR ENTITY PROVIDING THESE SERVICES OR THE OCCURRENCE OF CERTAIN OTHER EVENTS OR CONDITIONS; AND PROVIDING AN EFFECTIVE DATE.
WHEREAS, on July 24, 2000, the City Commission of the City of Leesburg, Florida, adopted an Ordinance No. 00 - 29, whereby it consented to inclusion of the City of Leesburg within a municipal service taxing unit (“MSTU”) established by Lake County to fund ambulance and emergency medical services; and
WHEREAS, Ordinance No. 00 - 29 established a date of September 30, 2001 as the date on which the ordinance would expire; and
WHEREAS, that date was later extended to September 30, 2003; and then again extended to September 30, 2006; and once again extended to September 30, 2009; and
WHEREAS, as September 30, 2009 approaches, the City desires to extend once again the date on which its participation in the MSTIJ will expire; and
WHEREAS, the City is amendable to extending the expiration date for a three year term, but wishes to retain the ability to opt-out of the MSTU under certain circumstances,
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT ENACTED BY THE PEOPLE OF THE CITY OF LEESBURG, FLORIDA:
The date on
which Ordinance No. 00-29 expires is hereby amended to September 30, 2012.
Notwithstanding, the extension enacted by this Ordinance, The City reserves the right to terminate any further participation in the MSTU by giving written notice to Lake County at least 30 days prior to the date of termination, if any of the following events occur:
1. Control of the operation of ambulance services or emergency medical services is removed wholly or partially from the current operator, Lake - Sumter Emergency Medical Services, Inc;
2. Control over, or funding of, ambulance services and/or emergency medical services is combined in whole or in part with control over, or funding of, fire protection services or other public services provided or funded by Lake County, Florida;
3. Tax revenues generated by the MSTU are utilized for any purpose other than the funding of ambulance service and emergency medical services; or
4. The level of service provided by Lake - Sumter Emergency Medical Services, Inc. declines materially to the point at which the Leesburg City Commission by an affirmative vote declares that the quality of service is no longer acceptable, provided however that if the City invokes this condition as a reason for termination then Lake - Sumter Emergency Medical Services, Inc. may present a written proposal to the City for upgrading service or curing problems with service and if the City Commission deems that proposal to be acceptable it may rescind its termination.
This Ordinance shall take effect upon
its passage and adoption according to law.
PASSED AND ADOPTED at the regular meeting of the City Commission of the City of Leesburg, Florida, held on the 25th day of August, 2008.
THE CITY OF LEESBURG, FLORIDA