A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY COMMISSION OF THE CITY OF LEESBURG, FLORIDA, ADOPTING AN IDENTITY THEFT PREVENTION POLICY, PURSUANT TO FEDERAL REGISTER (FTC) 16 CFR PART 681; AND PROVIDING AN EFFECTIVE DATE.
††††††††††† WHEREAS, the Federal Register adopted new requirements relating to identity theft with respect to our account holders and customers, identify red flags and address discrepancies under the Federal Trade Commission, Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act of 2003(FACTA) 16 CFR Part 681.††
††††††††††† WHEREAS, FACTA has adopted new guidelines and regulation requirements:
(1) an agency must implement a written program to detect, prevent and mitigate identity theft in connection with the opening of an account or any existing accounts;
(2) an agency must identify patterns, practices, and specific forms of activity that indicate possible existence of identity theft and respond to fraud and activity alerts in using the red flag sources;
(3) an agency must establish reasonable guidelines that would apply in connection with a consumerís credit or deposit account that has been inactive for two years;
(4) an agency must establish reasonable procedures for notifying the customer;
(5) an agency must properly dispose of consumer information;
(6) an agency must ensure the program is updated periodically, to reflect changes in risks from identity theft.†
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED BY THE CITY COMMISSION OF THE CITY OF LEESBURG, FLORIDA,
THAT the attached Identify Theft Prevention Policy is hereby adopted as an official policy of the City of Leesburg, to govern (together will applicable provisions of State and Federal law as they now exist or as they may hereafter be amended) relating to the identity theft with respect to our account holders and customers to identify red flags and address discrepancies.† And further,
THAT this resolution shall become effective immediately upon its adoption.
PASSED AND ADOPTED by the City Commission of the City of Leesburg at the regular meeting held April 13, 2009.†